Monday, January 29, 2007

barcelona...

So this weekend I set foot for the first time in continental europe. Or, more specifically, Barcelona!

It was a great trip, lots of sights, and lots of fun. I was especially glad, though, that we had people with us who spoke Spanish. While a lot of the people there could speak a little english, I was not fully prepared for how much english would not help me in another country.

Anywho, on to the sights!

Friday we saw a castle overlooking the Mediterrnean Ocean (Montjuic). The view was amazing - I couldn't help but imagine myself way back in history gazing over the ocean at boats etc.



The "main drag" in Barcelon had some amazing street performers:



And another view from that day of the ocean coastline from ground level:



Aparently under Barcelona is an ancient roman city (well, remains of it anyways). So of course we had to go see that! The remains were very interesting, but I really enjoyed this old painting:



The next day we went up to the monestary on Montserrat:





The next day was our last day, and so, a short day - but we still managed to fit in a bunch of Gaudi and an Arc de Triomf:







And possibly one of the coolest things we saw all trip: a human tower!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You had a nice trip. I really liked your pictures. I also visited Barcelona and really liked this wonderful city. Most of all I liked Gaudi's masterpieces. They are really great and awesome beauty. They are visit card of Barcelona and whole Spain. From many Barcelona hotels I chose one, about 5 minutes walk from the Ramblas. I fell in love with Barcelona and it's beautiful architecture, there is so much to see and could have stayed for longer, however, you can get to see a lot in a day as it is not that big and is easy to get around.